Saturday 21 September 2013

plein air painting in Cornwall.

Plein air painting, -  it couldn't be that hard could it?
They say it is good to give it a try, and not use photos all the time.
Also, It helps to create a sense of energy and feeling in what
you are trying to convey.
I must just say I am honestly not that fat... I look like the michelin man! 
I was wearing four layers to keep warm, and really wished I had a scarf and some fingerless gloves for the occasion. 
It was dry, thank goodness, and lovely and sunny. Too sunny in fact for the scene I was trying to paint. -(I know, I should be gratefull.)
 That said, it was absolutely freezing, and blowing a gale. My fingers were frozen,
 I really didn't think I would need gloves this time of the year! 
I was determined to 
get something finished that looked a little like the scene in front of me.
 Especially as I was creating a small crowd sitting on a bench behind me, and a couple of
others wandering by with dogs. 

The finished article which I am quite pleased with.
 I know its not brilliant, but yes they are right, it does create more atmosphere
 in your work and it makes you look harder at your subject for colour. 
I think if the weather had been a bit kinder it would have been a bit easier, as that wind was hard to deal with. The easel kept blowing over for a start and 
we had to weight it down with pebbles!!!
Until you experience such things you really don't understand what artists went through, and still do of course. - (The brave ones that is)!
I did kind of enjoy the 

challenge of it all, and I will do it again. 

.     Crackington Haven, near Bude, North Cornwall.